Director: Dr. of Scienses in Physics and Mathematics,
Professor Poletaev N. I.
Specialty: chemical physics.
Institute of Combustion and Advanced Technologies (ICAT) is built as a specialized structure of Odessa I.I. Mechnikov National University (ONU, originally OSU – Odessa State University) to provide high-quality cross-sectoral scientific research, education and training.
It was founded 04/14/1994 under the joined order of Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine and Ministry of Mechanical Engineering, Military-Industrial Complex and Conversion of Ukraine № 80D / 101. The main purpose of it’s foundation is to solve energetical, technological, ecological problems, fundamental problems of combustion physics, to provide training in the field of combustion and explosion physics.
History of ICAT ONU is inseparably linked to the Department of General and Chemical Physics history. Since 1963 until 1988 Department was headed by Dmitry Polishchuk, who actively started researching in the areas of evaporation and combustion of flammable liquid drops, which eventually led to a creation of a new trend in the department’s research areas – dispersed systems combustion physics.
In the late 60s prof. D.I. Polishchuk organized a group of young researchers whose study was focused on prospective metallized composition fuels (A.N. Zolotko, Y.I Vovchuk, V.G. Shevchuk, K.M. Kopiika , V.V. Golovko, T.A. Yakovlev, S.V. Goroshyn). The leader of the group, and later in 1971 a scientific adviser, became A.N. Zolotko.
Prof. D.I Polishchuk working on experimental setup.
D.I. Polishchuk created a favorable atmosphere inside the Department, what allowed the scientific group to take a leading position in all country in the field of disperse systems combustion. Such success was reached due to a high quality of teamwork with a relevance of research subjects and rapid development of rocket engineering and astronautics.
In 1986 ONU administration created a new scientific structure named SRD (Scientific Research Department). One of new laboratories was a Research Laboratory of Combustion and Molecular Processes Physics (SRL-2). The Laboratory was headed by a senior researcher Ya.I. Vovchuk. About 40 scientists worked there.
Success of SRL-2 and the Department of General and Chemical Physics led a doctoral theses defense in numerous specialties council opening in 1987, including Chemical Physics and Combustion and Explosion Physics. In 1992 the first in Ukraine Council of Combustion and Explosion at the Academy of Engineering Science Research was established. The ICAT employees were members in its administration: head – prof. A.N. Zolotko, scientific secretary – Ya.I. Vovchuk, scientific adviser – prof. V.G. Shevchuk, heads of sections – prof. M.M. Chesnokov and prof. S.K. Aslanov.
A wide range of interests in scientific researches and highly qualified team caused the foundation of Institute of Combustion and Advanced Technologies (ICAT) in 1994 by a common order of the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine and Ministry of Mechanical Engineering, Military-Industrial Complex and Conversion of Ukraine. The head of ICAT ONU from its establishment was prof. Andriy Nikonovych Zolotko, D. Sc., the head of the scientific school “Physics of Disperse Systems Combustion”, academician of AES of Ukraine.
Prof. A.N. Zolotko (on the left) and Graduate Student of Department of General and Chemical Physics V.M. Kornilov (right) during the experiment.
Associate director of Research Department was a senior researcher Yakov Illich Vovchuk, Ph.D. The strong relationship between Department of General and Chemical Physics and ICAT has allowed not only intensifying researches, but also to strengthen and improve the educational base for training of highly qualified specialists in the field of Combustion Physics.
Assistant director of ICAT ONU Ya.I. Vovchuk and his students.
Over the years the Department of Physics and ICAT ONU made significant contributions to such scientific areas as:
1. Physical and chemical principles of combustion processes, mathematical modeling and experimental investigation of various fuels combustion.
2. Physical basis of fire and explosion safety, ecological problems of combustion, combustion waste utilization methods.
3. Scientific and practical problems of energy in the process of natural and artificial solid, liquid fuels, organic azides, emulsions etc. combustion.
4. Scientific and technological problems of combustion as unconventional method for target products obtainment: high-temperature synthesis (SHS), gas-dispersion synthesis (GDS) of nanooxides, chalcogenides and nitrides of metals for new types of ceramics, thermoelectric and corrosion-resistant coatings, polishing pastes, magnetic fluids, phosphors and lubricants.
5. Physics of condensed phase structure formation in combustion, development of target products control methods for the needs of powder metallurgy, aerospace, etc.
ICAT ONU has three research departments:
- Department of General and Theoretical Macrokinetics, which includes a laboratory of macrokinetics and ecological problems of combustion research;
- Department of Energetical Combustion, which includes laboratories of natural fuels combustion and perspective fuels research;
- Department of Technological Combustion, which includes laboratories of self-expanding high-temperature synthesis (SHS) and gas-dispersion synthesis research.